Why is the consumption of alcohol prohibited in Islaam?
Alcohol has been the scourge of human society since time immemorial.
1. Prohibition of alcohol in the Qur'ân
The Glorious Qur'ân prohibits the consumption of alcohol
2. Prohibition of alcohol in the Bible
The Bible prohibits the consumption of alcohol in the following
b. "And be not drunk with wine." [Ephesians 5:18]
3. Alcohol inhibits the inhibitory center
The human beings possess an inhibitory centre in their brains.
When a person consumes alcohol, the inhibitory centre itself is
4. Cases of adultery, rape, incest and AIDS are found more
According to National Crime Victimization Survey Bureau of Justice
According to statistics, 8% of Americans commit incest i.e. one
One of the major factors associated with the spread of AIDS, the
5. Every alcoholic was initially a social drinker
Many may argue in favour of liquor by calling themselves ‘social
6. If a person is intoxicated just once and commits something
Suppose a ‘social drinker’ loses his self-control
7. Alcohol is prohibited in the Hadith
The Prophet of Islam Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
b. In Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter
c. Not only those who drink alcohol are cursed but also those who
According to Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter
8. Diseases associated with alcoholism
There are several scientific reasons for the prohibition of consumption
1. Cirrhosis of Liver is the most well known alcohol associated
2. Others are Cancer of Oesophagus, Cancer of Head and Neck, Cancer
3. Oesophagitis, Gastritis, Pancreatitis and Hepatitis are linked
4. Cardiomyopathy, Hypertension, Coronary Artherosclerosis, Angina
5. Strokes, Apoplexy, Fits and different types of Paralysis are
6. Peripheral Neuropathy, Cortical Atrophy, Cerebellar Atrophy
7. Wernicke – Korsakoff syndrome with amnesia of recent events,
8. Beriberi and other deficiencies are not uncommon among alcoholics.
9. Delerium Tremens is a serious complication that may occur during
10. Numerous Endocrine Disorders have been associated with alcoholism
11. Hematological ill effects are long and variable. Folic acid
12. Thrombocytopenia and other platelet abnormalities are not rare
13. The commonly used tablet metronidazole (flagyl) interacts badly
14. Recurrent infection is very common among chronic alcoholics.
15. Chest infections are notorious in alcoholics. Pneumonia, Lung
16. During acute alcoholic intoxication, the drunk person usually
17. The ill effects of alcohol consumption on women deserves special
18. Skin diseases are also related to alcohol indulgence.
19. Eczema, Alopecia, Nail Dystrophy, Paronychia (infection around
9. Alcoholism is a ‘disease’ ????
Medical doctors have now turned liberal towards alcoholics and
The Islamic Research Foundation has published a pamphlet that says:
If alcohol is a disease, it is the only disease that:
- Is sold in bottles
- Is advertised in newspapers, magazines, on radio and television
- Has licensed outlets to spread it
- Produces revenue for the government
- Brings violent deaths on the highways
- Destroys family life and increases crime
- Has no germs or viral cause
ALCOHOLISM IS NOT A DISEASE – IT IS SATAN’S
Allaah (swt) in His Infinite Wisdom has warned us against this